Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Money for Charity
If you would like to take up a challenge and raise money for your chosen charity, here is our simple 8-step guide to reaching your goal.
- Choose your Challenge: Have a look at the treks we have chosen as the exciting challenges to enable you to attain the joint goals of raising money for a cause dear to your heart as well as taking you to a new place – both metaphorically and in reality! This could be achieving a lifelong goal of seeing the highest mountain on the planet by trekking to Everest Base Camp, or seeing the city of one of the most ancient civilizations of the world by trekking to Machu Picchu. You may want to experience the amazing buzz of reaching the summit of the highest peak in Africa by climbing to the top of Kilimanjaro. Or you may want simply to experience another culture, landscape and way of life different from your daily norm, in the high Himalya of Nepal or the Atlas mountains of Morocco. Click here for destinations and the price list for dates.
- Contact your chosen charity: You will need to get authorisation from your chosen charity to fundraise on their behalf. You will also need to agree your fundraising target. If you are funding the cost of the trip yourself your fundraising target can be whatever you think you can raise – be optimistic, once you get started you will be surprised how enjoyable fundraising can be! If you want to fundraise to cover both the cost of your trip and the money that the charity receives – often referred to as the ‘minimum sponsorship’ arrangement – you will have to agree this with your charity. The rules on the division of the total funds raised between the amount the charity receives and the amount that covers the cost of the trip is regulated but your chosen charity will be able to advise you on this.
- Contact us to request a booking form:
- Return completed booking form with £300 deposit: Once you have sent us your non-returnable deposit you are on your way to paying the costs of your trip. Unlike some charity trekking companies CAT does not charge a separate registration fee – the land-only price quoted in our price list is made up of this initial deposit and the balance, payable 8 weeks before departure. Payment can be made by cheque or by bank transfer. All the details you need are on the form. We will send you your complete registration pack which will include further information about trekking, fitness training, insurance requirements, some tips on fundraising and much more. Our knowledgeable staff will be just a phone call or email away for all information about the trekking experience at every step of your way.
- Book your flight: Once the trip is confirmed (our minimum number of trekkers per trip can be as low as 2) your flights can be booked. Our land-only prices are just what they say they are – we do not include flight prices as these can fluctuate daily! Unlike some companies we will only quote you ‘live’ flight prices on request rather than charge you an all-in land-only + flight inclusive package. We do this because we want to be honest about the actual flight cost. So if you would like us to arrange your flights for you – we will contact you to discuss the cost and on receipt of full payment of flight costs we will book your flight.
- Start your fundraising: Your chosen charity will be able to offer lots of help and advice about how to go about your fundraising. They will keep in touch with you all along the way to ensure that you are successful in achieving your goal.
- Start your fitness training: You will have already received lots of ideas on how to go about getting fit for your challenge. You can also contact us for more advice on this or any other questions you may have about trekking, equipment etc. There may well be an opportunity for us to put you in touch with the other trekkers on your chosen challenge so that you can swap ideas and even arrange to meet up.
- Pay your final trip payment: 8 weeks before you go the final trip balance payment is due to be paid. By this time you will have carried out most of your fundraising, you will be nearing your peak fitness, started thinking about what gear you will be packing and will be well on the way to being ready for your experience of a lifetime!